Why become a member? ×

GK 210RBH and Neo 212 and other <£500 cabs

ThomBassmonkey

I received my order of a 210RBH yesterday and a few things have struck me about it.

It sounds ACE. Seriously good.
It looks the business, the tilt back is a great feature and it's a good size to fit in cars and under pianos (out of the way at home).

Unfortunately there's some bad points.

It weight about 8 tonnes and because it's only a 2x10, it has no casters (which all the bigger models have). Also the handles are placed length ways, so it's awkward to lift with two hands and a pain in the shoulder with one hand.
It starts to distort fairly early in the volume on my 700RB-II. Before halfway. I don't know if it's loud enough because I've not tried it in the context of my band yet (will be having a practice tomorrow and I'll see how much headroom there is there). It does seem loud but I don't know if it's loud enough to give me some headroom to play with.

Basically, as a preliminary question, if it's not loud enough (the weight's less of an issue) I'll be thinking about moving to a Neo 212 (I'd love to stay with GK because of the bi-amp system and apart from the 210RBH, Neo 210 and Neo 212, the rest are way out of budget (not interested in the 115RBH), as much as I'd love a 410RBH. The 200 extra w handling should mean that I have more headroom to play with and it's a tad lighter. I've heard various things about the tone from the Neos being a bit different to normal cabs though.

Can anyone shed any light on the differences? There's an Eden dealer in Derby so I might pop over to them to have a look at the NSP410 too, so any other suggestions will be welcome (though please try and suggest places around the Midlands if you can that stock them as I don't want to buy blind).

Edited by ThomBassmonkey

[quote name='RussFM' post='748805' date='Feb 17 2010, 07:04 PM']I never tried an RBH, but my old Neo212 (now owned by Josh) gave me way more volume on stage than anything else I'd played, and a crisp, clear tone. Can't go wrong with them in my opinion![/quote]

I've heard things about them sounding a bit synthy (all Neos, not specifically the GKs). Does that make any sense? :lol:

Also just noticed that the Neo 410 is only about £40 more than the 212 on Thomann (with casters). Might be worth going with that instead if I decide to try the Neos.

All this might be in vein though if I feel that the 210 is loud enough at practice. We shall see, but I'll keep looking so my options are open. :rolleyes:

Edit: just noticed the 212 goes lower. Bah, why's there nowhere in the midland that stocks these? It'd be so easy if I could just try the buggers. :)

Edited by ThomBassmonkey